Causative verbsCausative structures indicate that one thing or person causes another thing or person to do something or be something.
Examples of causativesHave (give someone the responsibility to do something)
Make (force someone to do something)
- I had John fix the car
- I had my hair cut
Get (convince or trick someone into doing something)
- The teacher made the students work in groups
- Our boss made us work extra hours
Let (allow someone do something)
- He got the mechanic to repair the machine.
- She got him to read more.
- Jane let her son go out
- They let the children play in the yard
Other causative verbsOther causative verbs include:
allow, help, enable, keep, hold, force, require, persuade